Christmas time always stresses me out. But like most folks, I also see it as a new door opening on a brand new year.
Yes, I make resolutions. I’m sure they’re pretty similar to the ones that you make. And yes, I tend to break them before the end of February.
Usually my list is:
1. Quit smoking
2. Manage my money better
3. Get more organized
4. Work out more
Those are good intentions and I try to make an effort. But old habits die hard. And sadly, I usually feel like I’ve got time to try again later.
This year I think I’ll try something a little different. Maybe if I do things that will benefit my whole circle, and not just me, I’ll be more likely to stick with it.
Some of these I stole from different people but I’m ok with that.
1. Stop spending time with the wrong people: it seems pretty basic but it’s hard to do. It may be acquaintances, high school friends, even family. If someone is draining the positive from my life, they’re gone.
2. Stop putting your own needs on the back burner: I do this a lot. So does Jenny. What happens is that we start to feel little moments of resentment. And why? Because we haven’t taken a few minutes to treat ourselves.
3. Stop being scared to make mistakes: I’m gonna fuck up. It’s inevitable. I’m human. And I always learn a lesson.
4. Stop looking to others for happiness: I don’t do this a lot, but I do catch myself thinking, “I’d be happier if Jenny did this. Or if the kids were like that.” truth is, I am the captain of this ship and I’ll decide where it goes.
5. Stop thinking you’re not ready: We’re never truly ready. Not for kids, jobs, a new home, a change of any kind. If we were, it wouldn’t be new.
6. Stop trying to compete against everyone else: I’m me. I’m good at certain things and suck at others. That’s ok. I’ll shine where I’m supposed.
7. Stop being jealous of others: We all do it. Wish for a newer truck, bigger house, thinner waist, and all because we see someone else with them.
8. Stop holding grudges: Let go of the past. Hanging on to it makes me relive the pain, anger, resentment or general pissiness that makes me a bear to be around.
9. Stop letting others bring you down: My boss is an ass. But he’s that way around me and away from me. So why allow him to pull me into the abyss of his misery?
10. Stop wasting time explaining yourself to others: Fuck em! I am only responsible to my wife and kids.
11. Stop overlooking the beauty of small moments: Movies, milkshakes, a nap on Saturday’s. These things are awesome and sometimes I don’t see the glamor in them.
12. Stop trying to make things perfect: Life isn’t perfect. In fact it’s messy and wonderful. Let it be that way. And smile about it!
13. Stop trying to be everything to everyone: Let others deal with their own shit. Let them fix their problems and clean up their own messes.
14.Stop worrying so much: One phrase… God led me to it. He will lead me through it.
15. Be grateful: No explanation necessary!
How long is your list?